Friday, April 6, 2012

Progress March 25-April 1

Image 1: After completeing the sewing, I was able to finally inflate my second piece!



Once I got the fabric in the mail I had to cut it into 4ft by 8ft strips to fit on the Zund knife Cutter. While I only needed to cut the fabric into strips, I wanted to make sure it was exact so when I went to sew it, the fabric would line up exactly the way I wanted it to.



Image 2,3, and 4: After cutting the fabric into strips I was able to print the strips using the photo screen I created. I had to screen print 12 strips of white nylon rip stop in total. It was extremely time consuming but looks great!

Image 5: After sewing each piece of fabric in a line, and then a tube shape, I was able to test them to see if they would inflate. Luckily I was able to borrow 3 box fans that were all the exact same size! This was a test to see how well the inflate. They are not exactly how I would like them to look so over the next week I will add an circular end piece to the front to close off the inflatable and I will also add an air vent to the back of each tube to help the fabric inflate better.

I have also continued to be in contact with Jeff Alder. He contacted a few companies and we discussed exactly what lighting I will need to rent for the show. I will be picking up the various lights on Monday. Jeff also got me in contact with a girl Vicki who recently did a backdrop for a show at the Duderstadt. The back drop included different colored dyes and oils that create a kaleidoscope effect. I was allowed to take this footage and will be editing it using Final Cut pro over the next week. Another person Jeff helped me contact was Tom Bray who is helping me set up the kaleidoscope footage to be put onto a projector. I am planning on projecting the footage onto the pyramid shape.

Logged Hours:
-Monday: 6 pm- 11 pm (finish sewing 2nd inflatable -5 hours)
-Tuesday: 1:30 pm-7:30 pm (work on lighting and cutting fabric -6 hours)
-Wednesday: 5 pm-12:30 am (cont. working on lighting, cutting fabric, and making photo screen-7.5 hours)
-Friday: 3 pm-8:30 pm (pinning down fabric and figuring out dimensions of repeat for photo screen-6.5 hours)
-Sunday: 4 pm-12:30 am ( screen printing dot design-8.5 hours)

Total Hours: 33.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment