Monday, April 9, 2012

Elyse Shapiro Studio Progress Mar 26- Apr 1

Studio Progress Update for Week of March 26th- April 1st

This week in the studio, I spent the majority of my time creating the lighting fixture structure by altering the shape of the metal. In the cold shop, I first took 6 foot aluminum poling and morphed it into the shape of a circle, varying the curve to match the diameter of the different stencil lengths.


After I had altered the metal to the proper circumferences, I sawed off the excess poling and prepared to weld the aluminum together.

After welding, I needed to make the metal appear as if there were no weld. To do this, I ground down the joint and proceeded to sand the area down to level. In order to make the metal appear uniform throughout, I then also sanded down the remaining surface area of the metal to match the welded area. When I had finished, the metal appeared as such:

I also spent time cutting down the polycarbonate to its proper size and sanding the piece of polycarbonate the would serve as the top for the first two lighting fixtures. This began to be problematic as I hoped to connect them to the metal using rivets. During the bending process of the metal, the gap for which the polycarbonate would be placed had been smashed. This required me to use a hand drill and increase the size of the gap by removing excess aluminum.

In-studio hours:

· Monday- Bent 6 foot aluminum poling for lighting fixture 1 and 2 12AM-4PM (4 hours)

· Tuesday- bent aluminum for lighting fixture 3 and began to cut polycarbonate to fit stencil requirements8:30AM- 4:30PM (8 hours)

· Wednesday- Sanded the polycarbonate and cut to fit exact size, hand-sawed all excess aluminum and prepare to weld 4PM- 10PM (6 hours)

· Thursday- Welded aluminum and began to increase size of gap in aluminum by drilling 1PM- 7 PM (6 hours)

· Friday- Begin to grind down and sand metal for aluminum structure 1 PM- 1 AM (12 hours)

· Saturday- Finish treatement of material and begin to execute full construction of final pieces (3 hours)

· Total: 39 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment